Oxford TRIZ Live - Patent & IP Development
Patent & IP Development is an Oxford Creativity TRIZ Academy online public training course which has been developed specially for online learning. It is delivered over 5 days using:
- Lectures and workshops - an hour long learning lecture every morning, leaving you with a related task, to work through. This is then discussed in-depth during an hour long small-group workshop in the afternoon
What benefits does this course deliver?
- The essential TRIZ tools and processes that you can use to derive greater value from and protect your intellectual property in just 10 hours
- Ability to systematically create novel concepts to make strong patents
- How to generate more ideas to broaden patents, protecting your products' future development
- Live online learning lectures followed by a break to complete a set task then a small-group workshop for in-depth discussion of the task and ideas
- Learn to identify new invention opportunities and implement Structured Innovation
- How to Ring-fence patents (your own or your competitors'!)
- Leapfrog existing patents to develop the next generation
- Circumvention of your competitors' patents to get freedom to operate (without involving lawyers)
- How to quickly read and understand patents
What makes the course effective?
- Oxford Creativity’s courses are delivered by TRIZ experts with over 10 years experience in systematic innovation and problem solving
- Oxford Creativity’s TRIZ Academy training is made up of a combination of online learning lectures, TRIZ tasks and small-group workshops developed specifically to be delivered online.
- This training has been specially developed to be taught online. This format provides a highly stimulating, immersive and enjoyable learning experience.
- Access to the webinar recordings for 28 days after the event so you can continue to refer to what you have learnt
Delegates for the 5-day Patent & IP Development course must be TRIZ Aware.
If you are not TRIZ Aware then we offer a special price of £1,400 for our Fundamental Problem Solving and Patent & IP Development public training courses when bought together please contact us to book both courses.
On completion of this 5-day Patent TRIZ training, you will receive our certificate attaining TRIZ Tyro level and 10 hours CPD.
What you will learn
Day 1: Invention context - how to generate and broaden IP with TRIZ tools
Ever wondered how top inventors come up with their ideas? Learn how to mimic the habits of genius thinkers:
- Map the context of any invention or system using Time and Scale in 9 boxes.
- Learn to use the Ideal Outcome to understand all the benefits of an invention (yours and your competitors’) and uncover new possibilities
- Explore the three logical ways to invent by matching NEEDS to SYSTEMS.
- Simplify complex ideas using Idea/concept and the Prism for Patents
- Save time and effort by accessing existing ideas through the Oxford TRIZ Effects Database.
Tools covered: Time and Scale, Ideal Outcome, Idea/concept, Effects Database, Prism for Patents, IP Roadmap, Ideal for products and patents
Day 2: Map claims, map inventions - protect and extend your IP with Function Mapping
Fundamental to strengthening IP with Oxford TRIZ is the ability to work with functions:
- Define any system in terms of clear, functional relationships for at-a-glance understanding
- Map patent claims then apply the Trimming Rules for rapid patent circumvention
- Map inventions (yours and your competitors’) to reveal all problems and insufficiencies and systematically deal with them
- Develop next-generation systems and products through radical simplification (removing components while keeping all their useful functions and the benefits they deliver)
Tools covered: SaO, X-Factor, Function mapping for claims and inventions, Trimming Rules
Day 3: Next generation and beyond - futureproofing your IP with the TRIZ Trends
The unique Oxford TRIZ 8 Trends of Evolution is a standalone part of the toolkit and can be mastered in about an hour and applied immediately to develop IP approaches.
- Predict the likely development of your own inventions and those of your competitors
- Protect your patent territory now and in the future
- Reveal routes to Leapfrog your competitors’ technologies
- Take the guesswork out of inventing! Systematically map he trajectory of future technologies
Tools covered: Trends for IP, Ideality
Day 4: Design around patents with the 40 Principles - use Contradictions and the Prism for Patents to generate new patentable ideas
A core advantage of Oxford TRIZ is the ability to develop clear logical thinking:
- Access and apply all patent knowledge to improve your patents using 40 TRIZ ways of resolving contradictions
- Overcome limited thinking and find inventive, resourceful ways to resolve conflicting requirements
- Learn clever, resourceful inventing techniques using the Prism for Patents
Tools covered: 40 Inventive Principles, Physical Contradictions/Separation Principles, Prism for Patents
Day 5: Strong IP step by step - systematic routes to protect and extend your IP territory and design around competitors' patents
Walk through our unique IP roadmaps with our Oxford TRIZ experts.
- Step-by-step processes for inventing and strengthening IP
- Simple routes for invention working with existing systems or a blank sheet of paper
- Tactics to protect and strengthen your own IP and circumvent/leapfrog your competitors’ patents
- Systematic approaches to develop next-generation products and improve systems and protect your IP
Who should book?
- Product designers, engineers, R&D professionals and managers involved in product development or complex problem solving
- IP managers and those responsible for IP protection and due diligence
- Anyone with a problem they haven’t satisfactorily resolved
- Key TRIZ materials - Contradictions Matrix, TRIZ 40 Principles (both for technical and business problems), the 8 Trends of Evolution - we will provide with you digital copies
- An editable workbook with all the exercises
- Not essential but will complement your learning - 'TRIZ for Engineers: Enabling Inventive Problem Solving’ by Karen Gadd and/or 'TRIZ For Dummies' by Lilly Haines-Gadd, visit our books page to purchase a copy